National CUE Conference 2016

Last week, I had the privilege of attending the National CUE Conference with 15 teachers and administrators from our district. We all left the conference completely inspired, hopeful, and excited about advancing technology and STEAM integration throughout our district. One of my favorite quotes from the weekend came from Cindy Moss, "STEAM is a culture, not a class." Those words really helped me to reflect on the fact that I really want to help our teachers to think of STEAM as a district-wide learning culture, and not as an extra activity.

Other words that really inspired me were Brad Montague (creator of the Kid President Videos) saying to "Choose to take a chance with what you have." This really reminded me to continue to take risks, even if all of the conditions aren't perfectly in place. With technology and STEAM resources changing so quickly, if you keep waiting, the moment will pass, and you could keep waiting forever.

Hadi Partovi (creator of Code.org) also reaffirmed all of our district efforts to integrate computer science in our TK - 8th grade classrooms. It helped me to remember how important a background in computer science will be for all of our students to be successful in the future. I also thought more about how my goal for next year will be for most of our schools to have 100% of students participate in the Hour of Code. And for schools who did that this year, the next step will be to provide training around more comprehensive coding programs and ideas for true classroom integration. Instead of always creating a screencast or movie for storytelling or to explain their thinking, students could start to program it, using apps like Scratch Jr. or Scratch.
I was also very fortunate to be on the opening panel of The Underwater Dreams movie by Allan Cameron. This was my first time being on a large panel, but it was truly humbling to share my opinions and experience with so many people!

My co-worker, Amanda Haughs, and I also presented a session on STEAM Integration. I was reflecting about how far we have come as a district and I am so proud to be part of such a motivated and forward-thinking team!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Grade Dash Robot Biography Project

3rd Grade Dash Robot Life Cycle Exhibition Projects

Dash Robots and the 4 Regions of California